Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Anticipation

For a good amount of this pregnancy, I was just hoping to keep the baby inside until 28 weeks. Then things were looking up, so we aimed for 34 weeks. Then things seemed pretty normal (which no one could believe) so we aimed for full term. I had always been sure I would give birth in June or July...and tomorrow will be August, and I'm still pregnant! Now I'm ready.

I needed to wait until Monday, since I was scheduled for a haircut with a great lady who was out of town for all of July and my mom was arriving on Monday night. I made it to Monday and was super thankful...until my new(ish) helper forgot to pick up Samara at school. That night I asked her what had happened, and she said she's distracted because her mother is sick back at home. She decided she wanted to go home. As soon as possible.

So Alma is leaving, after four short months, and we are about to have a baby. We have a bunch of mohels on standby for the bris. We have potential locations. We have grandparents waiting to buy airplane tickets. We are receiving amazing hand-me-down clothing nearly daily, washing, and folding. We have a packet of newborn diapers and a tiny bed waiting to be filled. Now all we need is the baby.

I don't remember what it was like to have a newborn. I remember struggling for sure, but I also remember thinking that it wasn't as hard as I expected after hearing from others. I think Samara was (and is) a particularly easy baby and child, other than the eating thing...and who knows what this one will be like. I keep telling him he has to at least be a good sleeper, but I can't tell if he hears me. I can't picture what our life will be like in a few weeks - no helper, new baby...I can't predict how Samara will respond to having a baby around plus losing a lot of my attention...we just need it to happen so we can all move forward.

So now, we are just waiting. And waiting. I am walking as much as possible - it's pretty funny how I am more active now than I was able to be for the last six months. When I went off bed rest, I PUSHED myself to get some strength back. I wasn't allowed to push too hard at first, but once I got to 34 weeks I was allowed to do almost anything (no exercise, etc., but everything else...), and I knew I needed to get strong to give birth and also to take care of a baby and 2 year old. I am now walking all over the place, making sure I get up to get myself water or a snack or whatever, and just stay as active as possible. Hopefully that will eventually put me into labor!

No comments: