Monday, July 15, 2013

Celebrating Pregnancy with Henna!

As I have mentioned, this pregnancy has been a wee bit stressful. I have had mostly smooth sailing since 24 weeks, but it was with nearly a promise that problems would come back and risks of lots of scary potential incidents. Problems did not come back, and I don't know if that's because everything healed or if it's because I very much took it easy. Overall, though, while I have been very thankful to be pregnant, I have not celebrated this pregnancy.

My good friend Susie wanted to help me celebrate, and I didn't want to do anything until we had a healthy baby. I want/ed no baby showers, no fancy dinners, nothing...but then we were at the doctor's office, and on the screen that shows photos of the doc's patients, Matt saw a belly covered with henna. He said, "Whoa! That's so cool!" I said, "That's Susie's belly." He couldn't believe it. I showed him more photos and he said, "you are for sure doing that." Eh. I'm not such an accessorizer. I'm definitely not into tattoos. I'm also not really into celebrating my body, and I feel like a huge cow...so I fought it. Between Matt and Susie, though, they decided it was happening, and we got an appointment at just about 37 weeks.

Fathima, an Indian, Muslim Singaporean came over on Saturday morning, along with Susie. Matt got to choose the pattern, and Fathima went to work. She was unbelievable - she sat on the floor and just drew all around my belly. It looked so perfect, and though my perspective was a bit skewed, I could tell it was cool.

It was fun to spend a few hours intensely with my belly - and share the experience with my closest friend in Singapore, my husband and my daughter (though she was surprisingly not so interested). The baby was moving a LOT during the process (could he smell it?!), so he was a part of it too. Now when I look down (see photo), it's so fun! I have this beautiful design moving around with a little baby inside. Apparently it will last for a few weeks, too. Soon I will be celebrating losing the belly and gaining a new baby boy!
Right now

Fathima in process

Me and Susie (my bed rest, henna and working mom inspiration)

Finished product

Family shot. Matt got one too. Sam didn't want. They're usually topless. I'm not.

In other news, Samara's best friend, Nathan, left about a month ago, and that's been rough. The other girl she idolized from our condo, Amalia, also moved, so motivating her to go to school and the playground is challenging. She had a really rough transition back to school after missing for two weeks due to her illness. Though she previously loved school with all of her heart and NEVER gave us trouble to go, she kept saying she wanted to stay home. Today was the first day (she's been back a week and a half) that she was happy to go. She is still on a pizza-only preferred diet. We're working on that one.

In yet other news, we were "that guy" who ruined a surprise party on Saturday. I mean, we could have ruined it weeks, days or hours before the surprise...so luckily we only ruined it about 15 seconds before...but still. We showed up a half hour after the birthday boy was supposed to get there, and though we still tried to go in the back entrance, we weren't sure which door, and we couldn't access my email to get the details. We kinda were just figuring it out near his front door, and he walked down the hall. When I saw him I smoothly turned around and walked into a stairway. Nah - he won't recognize me. A Jew in Singapore with super curly hair, nine months pregnant...Matt was even more clever and walked into a doorway and turned around, as if he would blend in with the wall. He then said, "you don't see me. You don't see me." Oops. Now that I feel like more of a surprise party-seasoned friend, I would not show up less than 1.5 hours late.


No comments: