Monday, August 12, 2013

Anticipation II

Now I'm 41 weeks...and to think that I have already written about anticipation? It feels like the baby may never come! All was ready to go around 38 weeks - so now what? I probably should re-wash all of the baby clothes, re-pack my bag for the hospital, dust the changing table...it's all a little over-ripe by now!

I spent SO much energy - both physically and mentally - doing everything I could to keep this baby in, starting in JANUARY. I visualized it (him...) being comfortable in there, being nourished and growing into a little baby. After months of bed rest, I was finally able to move around, but still focused on keeping the baby in and happy until 34 weeks. By then it seemed like the pregnancy had stabilized and I could be a bit more active, but still, I very much wanted to go to term. Well - I think I tried to hard!

Given my previous birth experience and the following ordeals, I am terrified of having a c-section, and I'm also probably quite terrified of birth altogether. In addition, I know that once the baby is born, our helper leaves (though she is leaving on Friday no matter what), all grandparents arrive, there is a bris (which is not a simple thing to plan here) and life as I know it (especially in terms of Samara) will be forever changed...put all of this together, and I think my pelvis is probably not allowing anything to progress!

Given all of that, I'm still trying as hard as I can to relax...and trying all of the other tricks in the book too. I have a deadline of Thursday or perhaps Friday...and if nothing happens, the doctor won't induce me since I have had a c-section before, and induced contractions are stronger and have more of a chance of rupturing the c-section scar. I will then automatically have a c-section.

I have...gone for acupuncture, eaten lots of spicy curry, walked incredible amounts (like back from downtown or the equivalent at least once a day), eaten so much pineapple I have sores in my mouth, swayed my hips on an exercise ball, drank at least four cups of raspberry leaf tea today alone and all else I can possibly think of to get this baby moving. The doctor monitored the baby on Saturday since I felt a bit less movement, and so far the baby is doing great (though he is indeed moving less - there's no space!). He was chilling, sucking his thumb. The doctor tried to sweep my membranes on Saturday and also last Monday, but he said the baby hadn't descended yet, so he didn't think it would be too productive. That's the only type of induction he will do with me. I am going back for more acupuncture tomorrow, will continue to walk, and will see the doctor on Wednesday if nothing happens before then.

In the meantime, I treat everyday as my last. It's been fun spending so much time with Samara and Savta, and we had Matt home for a super long four day weekend (Hari Raya Puasa, National Day plus a weekend). Since we didn't have any plans going into the weekend (we were SURE we would have a baby!), we ended up with lots of spontaneous plans, visiting the botanic gardens, swimming at the American Club, going to friends' houses, picnic-ing on the Padang and watching the fireworks, going for pizza with friends, a whole family trip to the doctor, a coffee and temple neighborhood tour, swimming...it was really fun and also really relaxing and we ate a lot of my favorite foods...because we can!

Now...let's go body! Do some good work!! I want to meet this baby boy!!


No comments: