Thursday, March 4, 2010

Last Minute Dinner Preparation

I'm a total planner. I know what I'm doing in two weekends. If I'm making Shabbat dinner, I have the menu by Tuesday, and I know exactly where and when I'm going to get all of the ingredients. I make timelines for myself at work (and I follow them). Some may call this anal. I will call it organised.

We were all focused on the fact that we were playing Settlers on Friday night (which we indeed had planned weeks and weeks ago), and we forgot about the small detail of food. Usually if you hang on a Friday night, dinner is included somewhere.

Today I offered to host...but I was already at work (no access to my recipes), and since I work until 6, I had go for sure be able to find the ingredients tonight (after yoga) and for sure be able to make it in about 1.5 hours tomorrow after work.

Step 1 - email Jer and mom and ask for quick recipes.
Step 2 - negotiation with Jer for the perfect fit for my circumstances (Asian over Western, fish over meat). Thai is a good bet.
Step 3 - list all recipes and ingredients
Step 4 - create shopping list
Step 5 - Tekka market immediately after yoga. Arrival at 7:45 pm...three vegetable stalls open, three fish stalls open. All veggies and fish - check. Missing - fresh rice noodles, tofu, sprouts.
Step 6 - Sheng Siong supermarket across the street. Noodles, tofu, sprouts - check.
8:15 walked in the door. Got a solid 10 minutes with Matt before he went on calls for the rest of the night.
Total = $6.10 for veggies, $18 for fish (snapper - story below), $2.25 for noodles, tofu, sprouts. Total, about US$19 for fish with garlic, ginger and onion, pad thai, and thai papaya salad. Not bad for four people.

Fish Story:
I went to the fish place I went to last time. I had gotten a fish recipe from Jer, but we didn't know what kind of fish I need. Remember, I have only made fish once. I went to the Fish Uncle (next to this place), and I told him what I was putting in my recipe, and that I wanted fillet for frying. He told me to ask the Fish Aunty. She recommended snapper. She told me exactly how much I needed and threw some fish tushies on a scale. Then they got passed to the scaling/cutting dudes. They stand up on platforms and scale, cut and torture these dead fish. He turned these fish ends (tails and all) into nice little fillets. He asked if I wanted the tail/bones that he had cut off. Then he saw that I was white. Nope.

No comments: