Sunday, March 28, 2010

Backblogged...Again

As per somewhat unusual, I am backblogged. Haven't written a word since we left Singapore. A few thoughts:

Wedding in the woods
Our first stop in the US was our friends, Jerry and Jen's wedding in the woods of Maryland, near Camp David. It was in the state park, and we all stayed in cabins. It smelled like Michigania. We got to spend the whole weekend with wonderful people - many that we knew and loved before and many that we just met. The weekend included potato sac races, three legged races, pinatas, s'mores, hiking and more. It was really really nice and had such a great Jerry-Jen feeling. Highly recommended if you're getting married, you want something low-key, and you have awesome (and somewhat flexible) friends and family.

DC
After the wedding in the woods, we headed to DC for 2.5 days. We mostly just visited friends, and we decided that we could live there. When (yes when, not if) we move back to the US it's between DC and NY, but DC pulled ahead for me on this trip. Awesome people and really nice life. We'll see...

Portions
I know this is totally cliche, and I probably blog about this every time I come, but portions in this country are shockingly and disgustingly big. You feel like you have to waste food if you don't want to become obese. Even frozen yogurt - In Singapore when you get a little cup, you get a little cup. It doesn't fill you for the day. It's just a snack, as (I believe) it should be. In the US, it makes me feel ill for the rest of the day, and it's probably more calories than you need for the whole day. I think if you live in the US you just have to eat at home almost all the time. It really grosses me out.

Morning Symphonies
On Friday morning, Matt's parents gave us their symphony tickets. My initial thoughts surrounded who the hell goes to the symphony at 10:45 on a Friday morning. Once we got there, though, I understood. The average age was probably between 75 and 80, and I did not see ANYONE around our age. Matt said that getting out of there was like frogger - trying to get around the walkers and canes (in a nice, slow way, obviously...). I have to say, though, that I didn't like going in the morning. I like looking forward to it all day, and I like that I have nowhere to be, so it can take as long as they want - encore and all. This time we woke up and almost immediately went to the symphony. That left me about 2 hours to be excited. Not enough. In addition, I knew that Jo and Mike were coming to visit in just a few hours, and I couldn't wait. I didn't want an encore. I had places to be! I would definitely go back to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, but not for a morning show.

Jo and Mike
Jo and Mike came to visit from Columbus (ew) on Friday. This was a highlight of our trip so far. They brought their one-year old (on Wednesday!), Charlie. I have a huge huge place in my heart for Jo and Mike. I met Mike at college orientation, and we have been super good friends ever since. I met Jo on my one-year volunteer programme in Israel, and we have been super good friends ever since. I didn't set them up (I didn't have marriage intentions, I admit), but I did introduce them. Meeting their child was so so exciting for me. I love seeing people that I have known and loved for...16 years!...as parents with their beautiful and special children. Charlie was so much fun. I'm so thankful for their visit.

Though there is a lot more to write about (including the squirrel that is sitting on my parents' deck right now waiting to be fed), I will save it. This is too long.

1 comment:

Dima said...

I hear you about the portion sizes. I think ever since we came back from Singapore, we are eating less (which feels nice).