Saturday, February 6, 2010

Friends

I get made fun of by many people for the number of friends I have on Facebook.

I have generally had a rule where I don't friend people unless they're a really good friend, though I did one "friend" session of INSEAD people when we were splitting up after P2. In general I have not been up for numbers, but I happen to know a lot of people. I also really value relationships.

I went to camp, Hebrew school, high school, public university with 35,000 people, grad school (twice), did a one year volunteer program, studied at Pardes, went on volunteer trips, lived in five cities (since Facebook), and in general, I just know a lot of people. It's not my fault.

This morning I had time, and I did a weed - I at least got rid of the people I can't remember or really don't care to keep up with.

Some interesting facts with those who are left:
  • I have 21 Rachel friends (with multiple spellings)
  • There are 30 names for which I have at least five friends with that name (with multiple spellings)
  • I have 17 David/e/Davey friends
  • I have 16 Sara/h friends
  • Other common names include Michael, Jen/Jenny/Jennie/Jennifer, and Dan/iel of which I have at least ten friends
Definitely biblical names and Jewy names had the most prevalence. Not surprising considering my Jewy life (before I moved to Singapore that is).

6 comments:

Jillian said...

I bet you only know one Jillian, though.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

true!

Phyllis said...

And I bet you don't know any other Phyllises (and none under...let's say, 50!!)

Owner, Corner #1 said...

How about this: how many friends would you say you have that are *not* on facebook? One? Two if we count Sam? :)

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

at least three...but I have a friend request pending to you, cristine! :) Aunt Phyllis - you're my only Phyllis!

Owner, Corner #1 said...

You do? Oh no. I may now finally need to get on. I've had a "ghost" facebook page for a while now, for no real purpose -- I made a half-hearted attempt to get on, and then abandoned it. All my settings allowed "only friends" to access, etc., and Greg was my only friend. But then they changed all those settings a little bit back, and my ghost page was outed it seems...