Friday, February 19, 2010

Addendum to the Saddest Lunch Ever

That lunch mentioned yesterday made me think about dietary laws and the such. Matt really watches what he eats. He tries to eat completely vegan with a few exceptions.

I was vegetarian for five years, and I kept some kind of kosher for many many years. For all of those years I thought about everything that went into my body. At some of those points, I thought some much about it that I recognised what it was made up of in order to make the right blessing.

One thing I really miss in my life now is that thoughfulness around eating. Now I just eat whatever. I certainly try to be healthy, but that's about it. I have really loved this "stage" of my life where I just want to try everything. I thought it would last only a year or so, but now it's been about three. Maybe this means that it's ending soon? I don't know.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I also went through a [very brief] bracha-making stage. I came to love that it forced me to think so consciously about what I was putting in my mouth all the time. I kind of wish I still was that hyper-conscious of everything I ate. I just realized I actually have a lot more to say on this matter of being aware of food, so I'll spare the blog and tell you another time if you're interested.

DeDe said...

the awareness of what we are eating and where it came from is usually somewhere in our thoughts as we eat, moreso when you just watched the movie "Food Inc " and read the "Omnivore's Dilema" and "Eating Animals".
You almost do not want to eat anything unless you planted it yourself.
With that being said , I am going to Leo's for a Greek salad...

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Anna - I definitely want to hear.
DeDe - I have also read those books and they do make me think a lot...and I too wish I could have a Leo's Greek salad (with absolutely no nutritional value but so much goodness!)!