Saturday, August 30, 2008

Rough Week - ending with a missing (but then found) kitty

Sorry for the lapse in entries. It's been a rough week.

This rough week ended this morning (though I had thought it ended yesterday...).

Matt flew off to America last night, and I went to sleep, as normal, with my little Kitty on my feet. All was well and good. Usually when I wake up, she is right next to me, or she comes meowing in when she hears my alarm. This morning my alarm went off at 6:15, and no Kitty. I went looking around the house, and no Kitty. All of the windows and doors were sealed other than two - she could have jumped out of our bedroom window, but usually when she tries to do that, I hear her, or she could have climbed up a grate we have in our laundry room and jumped out of the top...as there is a shower curtain pegged up there to block her from jumping out. (It's a windowless window with a grate that is in our laundry room, and the shower curtain keeps rain out, Kitty in, and it hangs from the second rung, so there is ONE area on the top she could get out - but it's about 8 or 9 feet up in the air. You can see it in this picture.)

I had to leave for class at 7 (yup - on Saturday. Yuck! This is the only one...), so I didn't have a ton of time. After searching our entire house, I looked all around outside. I walked around our complex shaking her toys and crinkling a bag of kitty treats. No Kitty. I went down to the parking garage, and I called her and called her. I looked up on the ledge that has our air con units - that is outside of the window with the shower curtain. No Kitty. I did hear some meowing, but then I saw that it was another cat.

I realized that I would have to shower and go to class, and I was feeling extremely guilty, because I have class until 5:30, and then we have a party tonight, and I don't anticipate getting home before 1:30. That's a long time for a Kitty to not be able to enter her home! I showered, and then I looked more for her, and it was then 6:50, and I realized I would not be able to make the train, and I would have to take a taxi.

I did hear some meowing, but we have a lot of cats in our complex. I thought it might be coming from outside, so I looked, but the meowing stopped. I went back in the house, and I could hear it, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

I went back down to the parking garage, and I looked up at our air con ledge again, and I saw the Kitty's cute little scared face peering from behind - at me. I told her to hold on, and I RAN up the stairs, basically had to break off the shower curtain, open the grate lock (without a key...), and I climbed out of the window and onto the ledge (which was scary!). I couldn't find her again, but I hoped she wasn't stupid enough to jump, and the ledge is small enough, that I had to find her. Finally I saw her behind a air con unit. She would not come to me. She was scared as hell. She just sat in the corner and shaked. It was sad. Finally I reached my arm in, and I was able to grab her face and pull her out.

I asked her to please never do that again. Especially when Daddy is out of town.

I knew to look on the ledge from this experience. Remember when Lisa's cat, Rocky disappeared?

No comments: