Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Business Foundations

This week I have been in business foundations classes - which is essentially math, accounting and finance camp. We have three classes during the days, and then we do work in the afternoons evenings. The only catch is that I have been so sick since Sunday (much worse starting on Monday), and I haven't gotten enough out of the classes, and I have been absolutely no help in the group work! I have only contributed germs, snot and some deep coughing.

Three observations from my first three days at INSEAD:

1) The profs are so great. They explain things well (even if our Finnish, Israeli and Russian (particularly the Russian!) profs have crazy strong accents!). They use real life examples/ newspaper articles, and they make it digestible.

2) There are really people from all over - and it is so neat. We all have name tags with our names and nationalities, and when I look around the room, I see: Brazilian, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese, French, SO MANY COUNTRIES! It's amazing that we get this many perspectives in our everyday classes! Which brings my next point...

3) Group work is essential. For the times that I have been able to join my group, I have seen that we are each able to add content at certain points, and I think that most of us would be stuck without the others. I was sort of dreading all of the group work of school, but I have a really different perspective on it now. Not only will it teach me to work in a group, blah, blah, blah, but it will also help us solve the problems!

No comments: