Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Non-Borscht Purple Soup

I have been loving soups lately.

Nevermind that I don't have a microwave at work, so I either stick my soup in the dishwasher after it has finished its cycle (when it's still hot), or I take it up to Christian's office and put it in his microwave on the 31st floor.

Soup is just good, and it doesn't have bad-for-you-foods in it at all.

I did a recipe search on Epicurious for the most popular vegetarian soups. I got this sweet potato curry soup. So, Matt and I went to the store last night, and we bought all of the ingredients. The sweet potatoes looked icky and small, and then I saw in the front of the store that they had TONS of Japanese sweet potatoes. They looked pretty similar to the ones I usually buy, but they were a bit darker (and purplish). I was sure that when they were peeled that they would be orange.

I made the veggie broth first. All was going well. Then I went to peel and cut the potatoes, and they were TOTALLY purple. I put them into the greenish vegetable broth, and it turned a gross shade of purply brown. The soup turned out okay (not the best thing I've made), but it's purple.

My first thought was - who eats purple soup? My second thought was - Jews and Russians! Borscht is purple, and I love borscht, but I think because my expectations were that the soup would be orange, I am a bit thrown off. Please enjoy the photo of the purple soup and the kitty in a bag.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You must be living in a Dr. Seuss world:
swimming w/big, blue fish
eating purple soup
Next it'll be green eggs and ham. Oy

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

That's what I thought tooo!!!!