Saturday, March 8, 2008

Essau was better at Lentil Stew...

Last night after work, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some perishables to make a great lentil stew. It was Matt's idea (I'm sort of sick of coming up with ideas for dinner all the time), and I was totally game. I picked them up, took the bus home, and I started cooking.

I was sooooo hungry.

For the first time since my failed apple cakes (story to come...), I had to throw out the entire thing. I left the burner on too high, and it burned the bottom, making it all smell/taste like smoke. All of my groceries and wonderful vegetable cutting was for naught. Poo.

We had chocolate chip pancakes for dinner instead.

1) Yay!
2) Kitty
3) Apple Cake

1) I got a message this morning that Kirsten got engaged! Yippee for Kirsten!! I do recall having a conversation while we were in college that she preferred to have a macabre wedding where she would wear only black, and there would be tons of candles and cheese. I wonder if she will stick to this. I also wonder if I'll be able to go! I hate being so far away when such good things are happening at home!!

2) We took the kitty to the vet today for her two week check up after her abortive spayment. She is doing wonderfully. Her wound is nearly healed, her furry white pubes are well on their way to filling in the gap, and she is just normal. The vet said she was so nervous that she got sweaty paws. How cute is that? When Matt was holding her her paws left little wet marks on his t-shirt! She should hang out with Fidler...

We also got news that we can let her go outside and hang with her friends again. Thank goodness - I was dying with our non airconditioned and non-open windowed apartment (we also got our air conditioning fixed this morning...). We got home from the vet, opened the door and the windows, and she played inside for a really long time. Finally, she ventured outside, and when I left to go sit at the coffee shop for a while, she saw Matt and ran to him and has been sleeping either on me or on Matt since (it's been about 4.5 hours), even though she was literally climbing the walls to get out.

3) In graduate school I was really craving apple cake. I got invited to someone's house for shabbat dinner, so I made a apple cake. Unfortunately I forgot some ingredient (I can't remember which one), and it tasted REALLY hard and dry. It was okay if you had a mouthful of tea when you took the bite. This was Daniel and Ziva's.

The next week I was invited to Joey and Jessica's for Shabbat, and I was still craving apple cake (the first one didn't count), so I made it again. I had two packages of eggs in my refrigerator. One package was super old, and one was super new. I was too lazy to throw out the old ones, and I sort of forgot about them when I was making the cake. I used an old one, realized that it looked a bit weird, but figured it would be fine, and brought the cake over. When I got there I realized that the cake looked weird because I had used the old eggs, and we didn't eat it.

The NEXT week I hosted a dinner, and yet again, I tried the cake. Craving was still there. I made the cake, was super excited, tasted it, and I realized that I didn't put the sugar in. It was gross.

No more apple cake attempts for me.

No comments: