Friday, February 29, 2008

White Flowers

So...today was the second birthday party that I was responsible for in the office. Yes - that's me - the lady who gets the cake, sends out the Outlook invitation and then calls everyone to eat cake. It's definitely not as bad as Elaine's office where they're eating cake all the time (you know, sub-prime crisis=budget cuts at Moody's), but we get it about once every month and a half or two months.

Last time I got everyone whose birthdays we were celebrating flowers. It was a cute gesture if I may say so.

Today, I was running a bit late, so I ran down to a different florist, and I got two stems of these white flowers that I could cut up into buds. I was paying for this myself, so I was pretty cheap. I got back to the office, cut up the flowers and was all ready for the birthday party...when...bam!!! My co-worker told me that white flowers symbolize death in Chinese culture, and you CANNOT give them to people. BOOOO!!!! Cultural mistake number 999 for Melanie!!!

They didn't get any flowers, but at least I think that they look pretty on my desk.

No comments: