Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mangoes!!

There are a whole bunch of trees on Upper East Coast Road, leading to Siglap Centre, which is where we go to eat great food and get some groceries. It's about a 20 minute walk from our house. The trees have obviously been there since I got to Singapore (it's been 8 months!!), but today, on my walk, I noticed that they all had mangoes hanging from them!! I really love mangoes, and the fact that there are hundreds (thousands??) growing on our road it simply too exciting for me. When I got here it was mango season, and there were tons of different kinds of mangoes all over the place. That situation ended around September, and we have been almost mango-free. I think the time has returned, now that I'm in my fourth and final season in Singapore.

This season, which I suppose we could call spring, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate, is supposed to be the hottest. I honestly can't believe that, since June and July almost killed me, but apparently the rain stops and the sun just shines all day. I will miss the monsoons. We have become great friends.

Speaking of great friends - we have two major things going on this weekend (one is a bit larger than the other). Matt's cousins are staying with us. They have been touring Singapore - went to the zoo, the "beach," today they're in Chinatown...and we have enjoyed having them at our house. They're so sweet, and it's been neat learning a bit about life in Seoul. I really know very little about Korea. I also, apparently, know very little about one and a half year olds.

I do have to say, though, that Matt and I are sure that we are not ready to have kids. It just is so much work. Granted they have two, but still - when do they have time to just relax? The kids are so curious and interested...

For example, I was cutting pineapple, and I put the knife on the counter and walked to the garbage to throw out the inedible parts, and one of the little guys came walking towards me with the six inch butcher knife that I had put on the counter! My heart was pounding for another hour or so. Holy schnikes. Anyways - it just looks totally exhausting.

I think my favorite part so far is this super cute song that their mom sings when she's brushing their teeth. It's so cute, and they seem to love it. Then they give her a high five.

The other piece of our weekend, which is definitely not as big of a deal, is that the kitty has recently decided she likes to sleep on our bed - with and without us. She is sleeping there now, in fact. She likes to cuddle in bed too. She is very sweet, but I'm not ready for this kind of intimacy. She will get my love and then run away like her half sister, Splinter. I'm just too vulnerable to take part in this. Oy.

Some pictures from our weekend...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must say that I like how your place looks with kids in it... :)

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

matt and i just looked at each other and rolled our eyes (and smiled).

not any time soon.