Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Overjournaled, but so true!!

Okay, I know everyone is writing about it - woman and black man competing for democratic candidacy and then, most likely, most hopefully!! presidency...

I hear about it at least once a day on my NPR Most Emailed Stories podcast. I read about it everyday in the Times...I know - EVERYONE is writing/talking about it, but seriously, I have to say something.

I literally remember sitting in my English class in 12th grade, and it came up that someone thought that my friend Marla would be president of the US. I knew she had great leadership capability, and everyone knows that she's smart, but I honestly thought that we will never have a woman president. I remember dismissing the idea because in my heart I believed it was impossible. It's only 12 years later, and, though I definitely don't think Hillary will win, I think it is possible, and it will be possible in the future.

Basically, this gives me hope that other things can change quickly. There are so many things in the world that we could do without, and there is hope that they will not exist in 12 years (or exist less). That's pretty exciting.

In Singapore, when you talk to anyone over 35, they all talk about how different Singapore is now - young successful people making lots of money, liberal people, (some) thinking people...Even in my Spanish class last night the kids (19 year olds!) were talking about how now movies like Juno and some French movie that I didn't know get full audiences, while before they either wouldn't even be in Singapore or no one would be interested. They were saying that there are so many changes even in the last five years.

I certainly don't think that all progress in this direction is good - since it does mean losing national/cultural identities and ideals that have been important for generations, and I am a sentimental woman, but it does give me hope.

I'm not sure if this makes perfect sense, but I have to run to put the kitty in her inner sanctum before I leave for work. Poor baby.

Marla for president in 2012 (we'll give her one more term to get some experience in politics...)!!!!!

No comments: