Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Everyone IS out to get me!!!

Maybe it's because I'm the grandchild of Holocaust survivors.
Maybe it's because I'm the daughter of the child of Holocaust survivors.
Maybe it's because I myself am paranoid.

Whatever the reason, I'm paranoid. I'm pretty sure that people are trying to cheat me, rob me, and get me into trouble - left and right.

When I'm driving in a cab in a city I don't know, I follow on a map.
When we first moved into our fifth floor apartment - in the back of a brownstone, in NYC, I wouldn't leave the windows open during the day.
I check all bills and credit card statements with the assumption that they're trying to get money out of me that I don't actually owe.

It's kind of my personal goal to always stop someone from cheating me.
The truth is that it almost never actually happens.

When Matt and I first met, this was one of our biggest problems. It hasn't really improved. (Luckily I'm not religious anymore, so now it can move up to number two or three).

I arrived in Singapore, and I saw that Asians don't wear their shoes in their houses. Our apartment, as most do, has a shoe rack between the main door and the main gate. I was really nervous to put my keens there. I was moving from NYC, and we are now living on the first floor (and I'm paranoid - see above -), and you want me to leave my expensive sandals outside for the world to take? Matt made super fun of me, and finally, I gave in - only so that when they got stolen, I could tell him "I told you so."

They didn't get stolen. I then began to trust the world. I really felt like nothing in Singapore could touch me - it's so safe here! We even have security in our complex!

Until...Matt and I went to play tennis on Monday night, and he noticed that his brand new, white as white, beautiful tennis shoes were STOLEN! They're totally gone!

I didn't tell him, "I told you so," but that's mostly because when your stuff is stolen, it never really helps when your wife says that. The building management assured us they would "get to the bottom of this." I'm sure they will...(yeah right)

In other news:
Matt and I DID play tennis on Monday night (he wore old shoes), and he WON! He beat me 6-4. I'm pretty worried that his win was the beginning of a new era in our relationship.

Lots of people are pregnant. They're coming out like migrating geese. Remember in August when five babies were born within a week or so? Well, it's going to happen again in April. My friend Yael is due somewhere there, Shana is due a week later, and then Emily (Seth's wife) is due three days later. Why does everyone seem to conceive at the same time? I wonder if there was a study about which months in which years had the most births. I can say that most of my friends (born in 1978) have summer birthdays. (Except Marla who is turning THIRTY tomorrow!!! - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!).

No comments: