Sunday, September 16, 2007

Relaxing Weekend with the Real Maria

We are in the midst of a relaxing weekend. Thank the lordy. We were exhausted by Hong Kong and not sleeping in for such a long time (we're not ready to have kids).

Since I last wrote, I went to shul at (one of ) the Orthodox shul. Yes, this is the one that I have had terrible experiences with, but the Reform congregation only does one day. I got there at ten am, and I was the first woman there. I thought maybe I was in the wrong place, since it started at 8:30, and they were almost at the Torah service. EVERY seat was assigned to someone. I was pretty nervous to sit in any of them (though there was LITERALLY NO ONE there), because of the experiences I have had with this community so far. I had emailed and called to find out if I could show up at services, and no one got back to me, so I did NOT have a seat. I finally just sat down, and it was fine. I didn't recognize any of the people or any of the tunes, but it did the job.

Friday night this wonderful couple welcomed all of the progressive Jewish community into their home. It was a beautiful home, and the Rabbi (my friend Ariella's dad) and the cantor did a really beautiful service. Then there was a potluck dinner, but it was professional potluck - not like when you're in college. There were full fish, amazing lasagna, tons of fancy salads and great home-made desserts. The people there were great, and Matt and I had a wonderful time and met some nice people.

Remember when I wasn't working and didn't talk to anyone all day, and I named Rosemary, George and Maria? Maria was the name that we gave to our imaginary maid. We were looking for a Philippina name, since nearly all of the domestic helpers are from the Philippines, and we chose Maria. Then I started working, and it turned out that the woman who cleaned our office was named Maria. Then she mentioned that she was looking for some extra cash, and if any of us needed something done in our house, she would love to do it. So, a real woman, named Maria, came to clean our house yesterday. It was our first experience with someone external cleaning person coming into our house. It was awkward (and she didn't do the best job). I'm not sure we'll do it again.

Our Hildebrandt Open got rained out yesterday, so we're going to have to try again today (tennis).

We went grocery shopping to get the weekly watermelon and everything else. We chilled all day with Splinter, and then Christian came over for some Settlers. We went out for dinner in Changi Village, which is where we got the boat to when we went to Pulau Ubin. There were a whole bunch of restaurants there - most filled with people watching a soccer match. We had a big dinner and some beer and made it back for two games of Settlers.

I won't brag, but I did win four of the five games last night.

We were very happy to wake up to the news of Michigan beating ND. Finally something good. They even looked pumped, which I didn't think was possible after the last two weeks. I am still a bit embarrassed to say that I'm a Michigan fan, but we really can only go up...

4 comments:

Josh in NOLA said...

Are you a fun person to play Settlers with, or are you like me - competitive and impatient?

sarah said...

good talking with you this morning/evening. Did I mention we played Settlers at work? We might play again this week, so any strategies to help me win would be much appreciated. (I never win in my office of gamers, unless it's a word game)

Unknown said...

Hey Mel,

Jason told me about your blog so I guess I'll check in from time to time to stay updated with what you guys are doing. Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to get to Singapore to join you guys sooner rather than later. Damn New York state bar exam!!!

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Josh - Usually I'm fun (sometimes I laugh when I'm winning a lot).

Jack - DEFINITELY come out here!

Sarah - When placing settlements - go for number and resource diversity primarily. Next strategy is always get cities if you can, and then build more settlements trying to get all numbers from 2 - 12. Those are the major strategies. Obviously go for ports and always build as much as you can around the sixes and eights. GOOD LUCK!!