Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rosh HaShana

I went to "shul" this morning at the American Club. There were three remarkable things (but no earthquakes).

1) The guy who did Hagba and held the Torah during the Haftarah was chewing gum. He was chewing gum in "shul." He was chewing gum and holding the Torah. Neither of those things were too exciting for me - the part that totally shocked me was that he was chewing gum IN SINGAPORE!!!

2) At least half of the kids were half Asian. There are MANY mixed families who are part of the community. Sometimes when I think this is really just any other American Jewish community - because it feels super warm and there are kids running around, and most people aren't really paying attention - and then I look around, I realize that it really is pretty unique.

3) I would say that 70% of the women were crying when they sang Debbie Friedman's MiSheberach (prayer to heal the sick). Though I have never actually heard this during a service, so it could be a totally normal thing, it struck me, because I was thinking that these people were probably crying because their sick loved ones are really far away. Everyone is really far away in Singapore.

Matt came back from KL today. He gave a presentation to some big dudes. He said it went well, and he really liked KL. He even got to stay in the Shangri La hotel. Fancy shmancers.

No comments: