Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Curious Kitty

I got Samara Curious George on my last work trip to New York. I tried to get her a book on each work trip, as books are a great thing to accumulate, and it's fun to have reminders of specific places. I hadn't read it since I was a child. It happened that the book was printed in Singapore too, which made it a kinda funny gift. When I got home I read it to her, and boy was it awful.

They capture a poor little monkey in Africa (in a BAG!!!), take him on a ship to an unknown place to try to put him in a zoo (nevermind the JAIL on the way...). I skipped parts of it for a while. I really ended up hating the story. It's not cute. It's not funny. It's like pre-colonialism awfulness to monkeys.

I read it to Sam and Elie over lunch today. (We're big on books at meals to distract from the awful eating situation with Samara). I was again thinking how awful it was how they took this poor monkey away from his home...explaining why it's so sad to Samara...when I realized something.

We are doing the same, almost, to KITTY!!!

This poor kitty was living a life in Casafina condo in Singapore. Yeah - she was tiny and yeah, her family was all killed, so she was alone and had no food and a pretty poor prospect for life...but STILL! She was a little Singaporean cat. She came to live with us. She was happy. We were happy.

Then we moved to a 3rd floor apartment. So we brought her. She had no idea what she was getting herself into. No out now. She was stuck. And onto our 7th floor apartment...and now AMERICA!

Poor cat is going in her bag (cage) on her ship (airplane) to a farrrr away land where Bubbie and Zaydie are going to have to pick her up from the Lufthansa cargo situation at Detroit Metro. She will feel cold like she NEVER dreamed of in our balmy 27 degree C air con bedroom. She will learn about STAIRS! She may explore the outdoors again, but boy will it be different than the condo in Singapore.

Poor little Curious Kitty - getting taken halfway around the world, all on a whim of a few random white people. Better go find my big yellow hat.


Video from March.

No comments: