Monday, July 28, 2014

Faith in Humanity - lovely people helping just because!

I am now experiencing my second bout of TOTAL strangers helping me FOR NO REASON AT ALL!

First: I posted on a mother's forum in November 2013 that we were going to Australia with our two young children, and did anyone have an infant car seat I could borrow, as the last time we went with a tiny baby the car seat was yucky. YEAH RIGHT, I thought - slim chances, since people here are always selling things at...the price they BOUGHT them at! But...might as well ask?! Within ten minutes I had a random mom who lived on the East Coast say, "Sure, no problem. I just need it back the day you arrive back in Singapore as we will be flying back to Australia that day." WHAT!? AMAZING! So we borrowed it, it was lovely, we gave it back (with a nice balsamic from the farmer's market in Margaret River). Wow! Faith in humanity.

Second: I put my stroller for sale, and I mentioned it was available in mid-August. I got a lot of responses very quickly (perhaps my price was too low!). The first one asked if she could get it a week earlier than I offered. Sure, I said. What's a week. Then somehow over Facebook chat she convinced me to give it to her on 25 July (a full FOUR weeks before I was prepared to part with it - 7 days after I had posted it for sale). She said she was traveling to Europe and she really wanted the small stroller for travel. I was jetlagged. I was busy. I didn't realize what was going on. Shit. But I had agreed. One night later I was up worrying at 3am as I am good at doing lately, and I thought of something - if she wanted this stroller for travel, she probably had another one, a bigger one, that would be sitting at home while she traveled. So I messaged her, and I said, "I know I agreed, and I don't want to go back on my word, but if I have no stroller I literally can't go out in a taxi with my 2 kids (I can't carry both car seats and Elie) for the next FOUR weeks. Since I agreed to get you the stroller much earlier than I was prepared to do (perhaps I agreed too quickly...), would you by any chance have a stroller I could borrow, as you will be traveling and not using it?" SURE she said! She said I could just drop it off with her friend when I'm ready. Wow! A stranger...and so far so good. It is big, but it's totally fine, and I am so thankful! Faith in humanity!

And by the way - her name is Fatima. I kinda wanted to tell her I was a name-hidden-Jew given the situation in Gaza/Israel right now...one step at a time...one step at a time.

No comments: