Thursday, July 3, 2014

Observations

I have now been in the US nearly three months. I stayed for a similar amount of time when I "studied abroad" at Wharton in 2009, but otherwise, this is the longest I have been in the United States in seven years. I left as a newly married lady, in my late twenties. I had never been to Asia. I thought I had traveled a lot, but I hadn't. I was living in New York, was close with my family, and I had NO idea what I was signing up for. But I was game.

Now, I have been staying in Michigan as a recent corporate MBA, with two kids, after quite an adventure. The adventure is not over - we are going back a week from Sunday - but these vastly different experiences have given me some interesting observations and perspective.

* As I was growing up I said I would NEVER live in Michigan. When I was with Matt living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, we both said we would NEVER live in Michigan. Guess what? It's a great place to be! The weather makes the outside completely accessible (which is a HUGE problem I have in Singapore - and I haven't gotten over it after such a long time...). Metroparks, farms, playgrounds...there is a lot to do with kids (though I am the first to admit I wasn't here for the past winter). Schools are good. Family is important. It's a good place with good values and great beer. I'm not sure what our social life would look like...

* People here ask "where did you grow up?" "How are you?" or they just start talking about stuff. In Singapore, the first question I always get (and I'm probably guilty of giving it too...) is "What do you do?" It's just not as important here. What you do often defines people in Singapore, because that's why all the ex-pats are there - for work. Here it's just something people do. AND they come home after work and spend time with their families. Seems that staying at work until six is LATE! My dad and I took Sam to see Barney and a few other friends in Royal Oak, at 4pm on a week day. There were DADs there! I rarely see dads doing stuff like that in Singapore. People have gardens. People sit and drink a beer on their porch in the evening. People seem to have more time here because they're generally not working super long days.

* There is so much SPACE. I know we live in an unnecessarily small apartment in Singapore and not all people live in such tight quarters, but we have no storage. We can hear everything going on in the apartment, from anywhere. It's just really tight. Here there are different places you can sit in the house and whole rooms go unused - ok - a bit wasteful, perhaps but what a luxury!

* My mom and I got our hair cut by this lady recommended by a friend in Ann Arbor. She was seriously a curly hair expert! She referenced customers she had earlier that day (not earlier that YEAR!) or herself. She had ideas about how we could manage our hair better. She was fantastic! She knew what she was talking about. Though I finally found a lady who does a good job in Singapore, she just doesn't compare.

Another bizarre observation was at the Book of Mormon last night. I had major culture shock, as I could NOT believe people were being so wonderfully offensive on stage. It would SOOO NEVER FLY IN SINGAPORE. Everything there is so nice and tidy (and censored). I just couldn't get over it. I still haven't. Definitely the funniest thing I have ever seen. Ever. Ever.

I always write this when I visit the US, but talking with good friends who KNOW me and whom I love and care so much about is cleansing for my soul. I got to visit Joanna and Mike in Columbus last weekend (and got to see Shana and Daniel a few months ago and have seen Jill and Ben a few times - with a few other friends here and there) and watching our kids play together, staying up drinking good beer and chatting about good, important topics, was just unbelievable. I feel so lucky to have such amazing friends who remain so, even after I have been gone for so long, and when I come back I can rarely go visit anyone. Turns out amazing friends will be there, even after being gone for seven years.

I know, I have been living with my parents so dishes, cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc have been limited. I have had someone (thanks, mom!) to watch either/both kids ANYTIME, which has been an amazing luxury. I am living in a beautiful house on a lake in a super wonderful neighborhood that we would never live in for various reasons (mostly schools) - so yeah - it's not real life. But man, has it been awesome!

Today is our last day in Sylvan Lake and we're moving to Matt's parents tonight, Matt arrives tomorrow and we're off to Michigania for the week. We haven't been for three years, and I cannot wait to share it with Matt and especially Samara (Elie won't really know the difference). What special time to be with my family, amazing friends and doing such fun things for a WEEK! I can't wait.

Sam has loved her time in Michigan. She says, "I love Singapore. Mommy loves Singapore and Michigan, but she loves Michigan so much that we're just going to stay." She said she misses her friends a lot in Singapore, so she's looking forward to seeing them.

One more positive - since I always complain about Elie's sleeping...he has slept through the night for the past THREE nights in a row. That's about eight times in his life. (Of course, now that he's sleeping, we're shifting him twelve hours...but I'm lucky I have had a few nights!!).

Sam and Matt the first night he got home, when he visited in June. What a look. 


Sam and Papa went kayaking a few times. Sam even does it by herself!

We met the Cat in the Hat and a few other friends! Yay Public Television!!

Elie was sleeping - but this was us the night Matt came home for his visit. Yay to be a family again!

She's a nut (but a cute nut)

Super Papa reading Fancy Nancy on the deck before Sam got dressed for camp. Elie was pulling himself up on Papa's chest hair.

Judy cleaned Samara's teeth for the second time. "Sam, what was your favorite part of getting your teeth cleaned?" "ALL OF IT!!"

Sam, dad and I went for a long canoe ride one morning.

Amelia, Charlie, Sam and the creepy dog in Columbus. What fun. Wow.

Sam fell on her face on the tennis court in Sports Camp. Overall she LOVED the camp.

So much time to sit and read with the kids. I love this picture my mom took.

Sam wanted a popsicle and Elie was game for anything, so we had popsicles and watermelon on the driveway in the shade. Yum!

Uncle Jeremy took Sam to her first day of Sports Camp, when he came to visit.

Elie hanging out with Sandy Schwartz, a dear family friend.

This kid eats ANYTHING!

1 comment:

Phyllis (Aunt P) said...

So happy to read your positive comments /about your time in Michigan. We get so much bad "press" it'easy to forget the good things. We should have spent more time with all of you, but my heart sang when we were at the Hands On museum last week and Jackson went up to a little boy (a year old or so), asked his mother how old he was, and said proudly, "I have a new cousin your size! His name is Elie." Will he remember that as an adult? Probably not, but he's obviously bonded with both Elie and Sam. I love that! I hope you're back in the States soon for good and we can come visit - not just to see the kids as they grow but to get to know you and Matt again, too.