Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Elie Starts Eating Food

As I have written about, Sam starting food was completely unsuccessful. She never took a willing bite of food until eleven months. She puked. She gagged. She cried. She hated all of it. We put food on her toys. We tried to sneak a bit of food in her milk. We tried to let her play. We tried to feed her. We tried EVERYTHING. She had no interest. She had less than no interest - she HATED all of it. It was awful. I honestly believed that I did something wrong. Maybe the purees weren't smooth enough to start? Maybe we started with the wrong food/s? Who knows, but whatever it was, it was not normal, and it has been a struggle since.

I now believe it is genetic, or just how they're wired. I am not drawing any conclusions yet, as Elie has only tried three (and a bit of another) foods so far, but even so far the experience is totally different. Elie shows interest. He plays with the food. He puts it in his mouth. If I hold it, a bit away from him, he moves his mouth to it and sucks on it. He goes back for more. He tried avocado and was mildly interested, but it was super slippery. He then tried bananas and he also found it hard to grab, but he put it in his mouth a few times and sucked on it. Pumpkin he seemed to like more - he was kind of nibbling on it, sucking on it and very interested. Just now I was eating an orange and he was staring, so I gave him a sector and he sucked on that a lot - couldn't get enough.

I am so relieved. Sam NEVER did this. She never showed even any positive feelings towards food (other than sweets, cakes, ice cream, etc.). It's actually kind of fun to make stuff for him and watch what he does. I'm looking forward to other foods, and I bet he is too!
Avocado

Pumpkin (after the first, we realized naked was the way to go)

No comments: