Thursday, August 29, 2013

Is this what it's like?

Samara has been acting out the last few evenings - Not listening. Not eating nicely. Talking back (ok, saying "NO!"). She seems to only want me to do things, and even when I do it, she is still super frustrated. She is CRAVING my attention, and it's pretty obvious.

This morning I thought that I felt well enough to take her to school, so I suggested we bring baby Elie so she could show him to her class and her teachers. Mission successful. She was proud. She told everyone his name. All good.

...Till I got a call from Sam's school. "Is this Samara's mommy? We have a situation where Samara has put a Cheerio in her nose, and it's up there very high, and we can't get it out. We will have to bring Samara to the clinic." "I will be there in 2 minutes. Actually 5."

13 days post-c section, I have been SUPER taking it easy, only going out for doctor appointments and our US Embassy appointment to get Elie a passport (I HAVE to get out of Singapore ASAP - it's been SEVEN MONTHS!!!). I grabbed the baby, threw him in his carseat/stroller, grabbed diapers, called the doctor to see if we should go there or to the ER (they said they could look at her first and send her to an ENT if needed), called Matt (he said he would meet me at the doctor), and RAN to her school. I passed Fran and Tom at the pool and told them what was going on, but when Tom asked what I needed I didn't even know how to answer - I just said I was going to get Sam to make sure she was ok.

Though Sam's school is across the street, I had to take the circuitous route to get the stroller up the ramp, and by the time I got to the lift, Tom was there (he knew he would be helpful - I just didn't even know to ask!), and we went together to Sam's school. When we got there, they said, "She sneezed it out. She's fine." Apparently she started crying in class and said, "It's in my nose!" They realized she was talking about a Cheerio. Oy.

She was waiting for me, so she came out, gave me a hug, went back to class and carried on with her day. We will talk about what happened later, but in the meantime, I had my first taste of real life with 2 kids. Crisis with one, dragging the other alone...and also with the attention craving behavior which we have never seen from Samara before. It's gonna be a fun few months...

No comments: