Saturday, January 22, 2011

Back to Yoga

Today I went to my first yoga class since Samara was born. Wow, was it fabulous. I got to go to my favorite teacher, Prakash, and it was even better than I remembered.

Physically it felt super good to move in so many different ways - though I did note that I am no longer balanced. Even doing a forward bend felt different on the right side and on the left. Holding the positions pushed me but I loved every second of it.

Emotionally I think it is really important for me to do things for me. Even when I was doing yoga when I was pregnant, in my head it was ultimately for the baby. I wanted her to be comfortable, which would happen if I felt better, and I also wanted the birth to be better for her (whoops...there goes that one...). This time, it was only for me. While I thought about her at least every five minutes (probably more often), I didn't have my phone, and I was not concerned about the details of her well-being for an entire hour. It was fabulous!

The tricky thing is that I have no idea when I can keep going. During the week it will be challenging to choose to go to yoga rather than get that precious half an hour with my baby. If she continues to sleep later than 8am, I may go to the early morning classes, but that would be tricky too. We'll have to see how it works when I go back to work. All I know is that I felt like a new woman, physically and emotionally, afterward. I'm trying to figure out how I can get to the one class that I like tomorrow!

In other news, Samara got to meet her great grandparents (my dad's parents) over video gchat this morning. It was pretty cool. They'll meet her in person in July, but they got to see her playing around with toys, talking and kicking all over the place. It was damn cool. Four generations on one video chat.

No comments: