Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Unexpected on the MRT Platform

Last night, Matt and I took the MRT home after a nice drink at a rooftop bar and some street food in Chinatown with friends. Unfortunately, we both got off a stop too early (neither of us knows why, but we did), so after we had waited six minutes for the first train, we had to wait six minutes for the next train. While waiting at Dhoby Ghaut, I heard a bit of commotion and the sound of a crumpling plastic bag. I looked in the centre of the platform, at the bottom of the escalator, and there was a girl trying to pee into a plastic bag.

This is NOT the New York city subway platform. This is nice floors, air conditioned, fancy escalators, screens that play movie previews, NICE subway platform. The girl was about seven years old and was with her older brother and her parents. All were well dressed, and this did not look like a normal occurrence, but it was quite funny to watch.

I imagine the girl had to pee. Badly (there ARE bathrooms in the MRT stations here, by the way). She started peeing in her pink pants. Mom tried to get the plastic bag under her to catch the pee. Really? Have you ever peed with pants on? Okay - I haven't, but I would have imagined that the pee wouldn't just flow through the pants, but instead, it all went down her legs and into her shoes. When she was finished (bending over, watching herself pee in her pants while standing), they just walked away and left two puddles.

I know that when I have kids I will totally understand this, but at this point I just think it's funny and gross.

No comments: