Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas in Singapore

This Christmas was extremely uneventful for us. Thank goodness, because we have been a bit overwhelmed with traveling and doing things.

In the US Christmas is super closed. Restaurants, stores, supermarkets, etc. are all closed. Walking down the street, things feel different and weird. People are all with their families.

In Singapore, it's definitely not like that. It IS like that for Chinese New Year, but for Christmas, mostly everything is open, though people do seem to have dinners and lunches with their families, Christian or not.

Yesterday I went to the market, and all was open as usual. Then I went for a (LOUSY) pedicure, went to pick up tickets for Avatar for Saturday, and went to pick up challah from the Jewish community. It was annoying that everything I walked by was open - all stores and restaurants, EXCEPT for the Kosher Shop that had my challah. Even though I had called on Monday to ask when I can pick it up and confirmed that it would be open on Christmas...it was the ONLY thing that was not open. Pretty funny that it's the one Jewy thing that I went to.

After cleaning, swimming and relaxing, we had friends over for shabbat dinner, with my first potato kugel ever, and we played some serious games of Settlers. All was super enjoyable and super relaxing.

Through the first week of January, I will have worked for six weeks. I will have had ONE full work-week. Yay for three day weekends. I love them! Merry Chrismas to my Christian readers!

No comments: