Sunday, September 20, 2009

Third Rosh Hashana in Singapore

I can't believe it, but it's our third Rosh Hashana in Singapore.

The first one was memorable, because there was an earthquake in the middle of services.

The second wasn't memorable, because I don't think I/we went to services. I'm pretty sure I just skipped it and went to school.

This year, we went to Gal's for dinner the first night, and it was super nice and fun. Lots of great people, and amazing food. Saturday we went to UHC services, and when we were talking about what happened with the sounds of the shofar, etc, there was a HUGE rumble of thunder. Put that together with the earthquake, and Singapore is one hopping Rosh Hashana place.

Today I went to the Ashkenazi, orthodox service, and it was super nice. I was the only woman there who looked like I was born Jewish, and I was the only woman there without children. Interesting.

This Rosh Hashana is coming at a particularly interesting time for me - a good time to take a step back and reflect. Since, I just graduated, we just moved, I just started a new job, and it's all a little bit stressful. Sitting in shul (particularly this morning) was nice time for me to stop and think. Matt watched football.

No comments: