Saturday, October 22, 2022

Visit with some Grandparents

Since my last post, Matt was in the US and we got to enjoy Papa and Savta. The first week we all walked to and from school, the kids showed them around, they got their bearings. On the weekend we had our first guests for Shabbat dinner (Stephanie and Oscar), and I got to be a soccer mom (usually I'm a shul mom, but soccer dad was away). Koby had a game on Saturday morning, which he had fun with. Elie kicked a ball around. Sam stayed home alone. Papa, Savta and I watched. We chilled Saturday afternoon before heading to the London Eye area, and South Bank to walk around and get food to go watch the Michigan game at the bar. We made it to halftime - luckily it wasn't a stressful game. Super fun. Go Blue!

Sunday we all walked the kids to cheder (hebrew school), and I got stuff done, like grocery shopping, etc. When we picked up the kids we ubered to Camden Market to get lunch and Sam wanted to shop. They have favorite places they like to eat at and check out, so that was easy peasy and fun. After an early dinner, Savta, Sam and I went to see Six as part of Sam's birthday. It was REALLY REALLY FUN and great. Sam knew every word (but I sure hope they don't understand every word!), and LOOOOOOVED it. I absolutely love how accessibly theater is here. It's really reasonable prices - we got great tickets on the ground level for 55 GBP each, a few weeks before the show. There were cheaper seats for 35 GBP. That's just so reasonable to see a fabulous show. 

Monday through Wednesday were normal school days, and Papa and Savta were able to help with some of the drop offs and pick ups. We had a trip together to Borough Market for lunch (and they went to the Tate Modern and loved it), and I actually had a lot of work to do. They lived kinda a normal life here. Exercise. Bridge online. Walks here and there and chilling. My mom is in super planning mode, since she's the co-chair of Limmud (and see this!), which is happening next weekend! They also got to go to football practice at the boys' favorite park and help watch the boys so I could take Sam to a riding lesson without schlepping everyone.

Thursday and Friday the kids were off school for parent-teacher conferences. Thursday Matt came home, and we spent the afternoon in conferences, while my parents watched the kids. (The morning was building Elie's halloween costume - more info coming soon). For Elie and Koby there is a half hour time slot that we got to talk to their teachers. For Sam, all of the middle school teachers were at desks in the gym, and we had a map and a list of teachers. They sometimes had queues (I didn't even get to reach the social studies teacher! She always had people waiting, and then it ended!). I was so so so impressed with the school and teachers. The teachers had incredible insights into our kids. They pegged their behaviors and motivations, strengths and weaknesses (with kindness) in a way I have never experienced before. It was awesome and so helpful. We walked away with some real things we can do to support our kids, new and useful information and also knowing that our kids are in incredible hands.

Friday I took Sam to a riding lesson and then we all went to the dentist before we had a (late - bc the plumber was at our place and had to turn off the water and I couldn't cook!) nice shabbat dinner. Today was soccer and shul with some organizing and grocery shopping and a trip to the park.

I am trying to work on myself and feeling better/getting back to being physical after my injury. I have been seeing a physio (like a physical therapist but not quite). He was doing some INTENSE massage and also giving me some strengthening exercises. Now he's working with me on jumping and next is agility. I'm trying to get back to tennis in the next few weeks. Injury was almost five months ago. I have also started seeing a trainer to try to get strong again and also started doing yoga (with my friend Brandi - she's amazing if you are looking for online yoga). I realized I can't bend over at all without pain, I can't move quickly, I don't fit into my clothes...I guess that all happens when you are basically stagnant for a few months, but boy am I weak and slothlike. Working on it. So far I have seen Natasa twice, and the first time KICKED MY ARSE, and this past week was still hard but I'm not as sore, so I think that might be progress. Takes time.

Slightly related: I finally took out my bike. I biked to a trainer appointment, and it was so easy and not that scary. I think we will bike places, but we have to make sure we can be back before dark. Seems dangerous on these narrow streets - especially with the kids. It was so fast.

First impressions of dental care here: We all (minus Matt) had appointments with the dental hygienist at a dental practice in Belsize, recommended by the American School community and right around the corner from our house. We had pretty low expectations, as England is not known for its quality dental care to say the least. We had a totally thorough cleaning, and then we learned that you make a separate appointment to see the dentist, so we have those for a few weeks from now. The hygienist seemed excited to tell me that each of the kids and I didn't have gum disease - I was like, duh - my dad was a dentist and we're pretty orally aware, but it seemed that may not have been the norm. Overall it felt comfortable.

We are settling into our house. We have now spent a few weeks here, and it's feeling more like home. It is INCREDIBLY creaky and does often feel like everything does not work, and I think our landlord may be super sick of me and my "now this doesn't work" messages, but slowly slowly. Imminent repairs include our shower, kids' faucet and a dryer that leaves a puddle after each load (but we're SO GRATEFUL to have a dryer at all). Hopefully those will be fixed this week.

We had a wonderful visit with my parents. They were helpful. Kids enjoyed. They seemed to have enjoyed. They saw our life here. Mission accomplished.

Paella at Borough Market. No judgement.


Sam wanted to pinch it

Elie wanted to touch it

Koby wanted it sticking out of his head


Sam riding a horse IN TRAFFIC heading into Hyde Park

Stables are in mews, which is the type of housing where we live, but horses actually live in these

so nice to have Papa and Savta on the tube


Stay with that google map so you know where you're going. Here's there on the high street in St John's Wood, about to find their way home for the first time (spoiler: they made it)

We all went to Sam's first lesson, but I have taken them back for two more


While waiting in Hyde Park

Koby wanted to try to dumplings from this stand that we walk by twice a day every day. They were delicious.

At Primrose Hill Park. The top of this park is about 5 minutes walk from our house. It's a few more minutes to this view point, but it's super close, and it's super pretty!

Our first dinner hosted in our house. My dad and I built this table (thanks, Dad!)

1 comment:

Phyllis (Aunt P) said...

Looks like a terrific visit (I want some of those dumplings!). So nice to have had this time with your parents.