Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reflections at a Year

End of June/early July is a great time for reflecting.

We just celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary.
We just marked three years in Singapore (which is one year longer than I have lived anywhere else since I was 18...)
My graduation from INSEAD was one year ago on the 1st.

If I go back to four years ago, I could NEVER have imagined that I would even be living in Singapore. I'm sorry to say that I didn't know where it was or anything about it - except the regular caning and gum stuff.

Going back to three years ago, I was a trailing spouse who had lost my identity. I was about to start a horrible job at a disorganised non-profit, and I was just starting to get to know Asia. I wasn't even dive-certified yet! I had started thinking about the MBA, but I don't think I knew about INSEAD yet, and if I did, I'm sure I thought I wouldn't get in.

One year ago I had just finished the most intense year of my life, I was looking forward to a short trip home - surprising friends and family at Michigania - and then starting a job (that felt wrong in my gut) with toilets. I didn't really feel excited about it, but I thought there was potential. I was also looking forward to a short stint in Israel for Dena and Juan's wedding.

Who knew that now I would be a pregnant corporate woman working in a bank! You can always prepare (and I DO!), but you really can't ever know where you're going or where you will end up. I am someone who loves control and preparation, and I remember Wade, whom I used to work with at GW Hillel said to me - "Mel - just let go. You can't even control the things that you think you can control, let alone the things you can't." That doesn't sit well with me, so I still have to be proactive, but it is worth noting that I never could have dreamed up where I am now...at any previous point in my life. And - the weirdest part is that I'm really happy to be here.

1 comment:

DeDe said...

We celebrate your happines and the 4th!

Looking forward to celebrate with Sue and Sandy tomorrow

D & W