Saturday, July 19, 2008

To Judge a Book by its Cover

Today I judged hundreds, maybe thousands, of books by their covers. After staying up late because I watched a cheezy chick flick, and then having my air con service guy come in the morning, and a nice work out - I went to meet my friend, Gal, at the Singapore library's annual book sale. They put TONS of books in an expo hall. They are separated first by language (Chinese/English/Malay) and then by fiction/non-fiction, but that's IT. Biographies are next to "Winetasting for dummies."

In the fiction, I only recognized two authors, and one was Garrison Keillor, and th book was in such horrible condition, it wasn't even an option.

Luckily I found a superstar in the non-fiction. I found a book on the social history of toilets.

5 comments:

Anna said...

That might be the greatest book I've ever heard of...and I'm pretty much a snob when it comes to literature.

Jillian said...

I got my sister a book on "Toilets of the World" and she has since listed it as one of her favorite books on Facebook. Who knew toilets were so fascinating? Ok, Mel, you did :-)

sarah said...

please tell me it has its dust cover (or is a paperback). If the cover's worth showing, perhaps a photo on your blog?

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Oooh!!! Jill - maybe your sister can help me understand if people sit/squat facing the way we do - in Asia! Do you remember that posting? I don't think I can put a link in my comment...

I was wondering if I put a picture, or if I put a few quotes from this book on my blog if that's copyright infringement. If I reference it, it's not, right?

I did read the entire book in one sitting on Saturday.

Jillian said...

I'll have Jen do some investigative work and get back to you.