Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Apparently Desperate for Golden Grahams

I had no idea, but apparently I am desperate for Golden Grahams.

I got them on Saturday at the Navy commissary, and I was so excited to have some for breakfast yesterday. The box is bigger than the other boxes that I usually buy, so the internal bag didn't fit in an air tight container that I use for cereal - to not let the ants enjoy my food.

I put it in a mostly antless place, and I thought, "I'm sure the ants won't get to this in one day, and tomorrow it will fit in the container."

I was wrong. This morning I pulled out the bag, and I saw a couple of ants.

There were about three or four in the top of the bag, so I immediately cut that out. I saw a couple of others near the bottom, but I couldn't spot others. I decided the Golden Grahams had to be saved. I went to work with a couple of bowls and an air tight container.

First I poured a bit of cereal into a bowl, looked for ants with my hands, then poured it into the container. I went through the entire box doing this, and the truth is that I only saw ants at the end - and only four. I killed them all (suckers), and put the cereal in the refrigerators. I figured the cold would kill any ants that I had missed.

There were no ants in my bowl of cereal this morning. I looked carefully before each bite.

Would I ever do this in the States? I think not. I would have screamed like a little kid and thrown it out. I guess I have changed. I guess I'm just desperate for Golden Grahams.

No comments: