Saturday, July 19, 2008

NSmen

Since Matt's in Israel, I figured I would post about something that I have been thinking about for a while...that has to do with Israel.

In Israel the military is mandatory - as most people know. Men serve something like three years, and women serve a bit less, but they also serve. When you're in Israel, you're well aware of this fact. You see soldiers (with guns...which is a bit alarming when you see it for the first time) EVERYWHERE. They're sitting/sleeping next to you on the bus, they're walking around town, they're out with you on the weekends. At least while I was living there (and younger than I am now...) it seemed like EVERYONE was in the army, and it also seemed like they were mostly all hot.

In Israel, it really appears to me that nearly every 18-21 year old guy is hot. Maybe that's gross to say now that I'm 30, but when I was living in Israel and 20 and then 22, it was amazing! They look older, buffer, tanner, more confident than American men. They had great bodies, and they fricken fought for their country!!

In Singapore, military service is also required, but for men only. I feel horrible writing this, because they're also doing a great deed for their country, but here goes...they're totally not hot in uniform. They look like skinny little boys wearing a costume of fatigues. A couple of points: Asian men look younger than Israeli and American men, so they look young to me no matter what. Singapore isn't in immediate danger like Israeli is (though some people think they are in immediate danger from Malaysia - or at least could be at the drop of a hat). For some reason they're not as visible as the Israeli soldiers, so I only see about five per week, so maybe the buff, hot ones are walking around somewhere else.

In other news, I have so many friends having babies!
in November: Cristine
in December: Lauren, Laura, Lee Fong, Liba and Sara
I think there are more, but I'm just forgetting for the minute.
Also - do you think there is something about having your name start with "L" and getting pregnant sometime around Feb/March?

No comments: