Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Subwhere?

Yesterday the MRT was shut down east of Bedok (our stop) to the end. It was shut down for seven hours. There were buses that were chartered to help get people to work. Singapore was in an uproar. This morning it was the top story in all of the papers (actually it was second to the fact that the markets TANKED yesterday). This was the worst shut down forever. No one knew what to do.

I thought this was hilarious. This happened in New York all the time. My boss lived in Brooklyn, and there were many many days where she called and said that her line was closed/stopped/slow - something, and she was late to work. Luckily I could walk to work, so I didn't learn much about it, but I KNOW this happens all the time.

I got to work, and I chose the wrong audience to talk about this with. I talked to my Singaporean colleague about how nuts this was that people were in such an uproar. She said, "50,000 people couldn't get to work." I said - yeah, well that happens all the time in NYC. She kept saying, "they had no buses, no taxis, and they had no way to get to work." There were buses, there were taxis (she took one). I think I was just preaching to the wrong choir.

No comments: