Thursday, October 25, 2007

B'holtzes in Singapore

First, I have to give credit to Ruthie for giving me the idea to throw an "e" in B'holtzes. I always apostrophied, but I like this better.

Sue and Sandy arrived on Tuesday night late. I had a rough time, since two people from my work life and I went out for drinks and dinner (and drinks) before they got here. I had woken up at 5:45 to go to work, and we got home from the airport at 2:00 am. I would have been complaining more if my parents hadn't just flown around the world for over 24 hours to come visit me.

They arrived in jolly moods from Jeremy and Terese's wedding in Cali. They had a great time, and they saw many people that Matt and I love. We were so sad not to be there. We were also thankful that the Malibu fires didn't displace their wedding, since they are/were raging right where the wedding was - five hours after it ended. So terrible.

Yesterday I took the day off of work, and we ran all over Singapore. We first checked out the local Starbucks (which was the most important thing in my mom's life, but she later realized that local coffee is as good as or better than her beloved Starbucks). We went to my new job (which starts in Dec - I'll write more about it another time) to drop off some papers, and then we walked down Orchard Road to get some very good dim sum and see all of the malls.

The dim sum was very good.

We then took the MRT to go see Matt at his office. He took us to the 37th floor and then the 18th floor and we could see a few views of the city. We then went to one of the hawker centres and got a bunch of fruit. We walked and saw a Chinese temple, Chinatown, Clarke Quay, lots of areas. We ended up in Little India, where we saw lots of colors, since everything is decorated for Deepavali (Nov 8th). They tried roti prata, which is a Singaporean speciality, and then we had super good food for dinner.

Today they ran all over town again. My mom said that she will guest blog this weekend, so she'll write more.

Tonight we met for a Singapore Sling, which is a SUPER sweet drink, at the Raffles Hotel which is just a gorgeous building. It is soooo beautiful.

Then we had Laksa, which is another Singapore specialty - we have no idea what's in it, but I think I wrote about it back in August or July. It was good. Then we tried some chicken rice. That was really good too. Now we're crashing...Pictures soon.

No word on Splinter. :(

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Everyone should just know the root. Birnholtzes = Blintzes. That's just what you do when a word ends in Z.