Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Facebook's Algorithm

I don't understand tech stuff. And...I really enjoy Facebook. I moved away permanently from my childhood state twenty years ago and have enjoyed it for nearly that whole time. I don't pretend to think that it means I'm in close touch with all of those 1,000+ facebook friends, but I truly enjoy seeing their posts. I love seeing people's thoughts. People's kids. I find it so interesting to keep up with friends' lives from our time in Singapore. Friends from New York or Israel. Some friends from business school. I know I don't REALLY know what's going on, but I'll take what I can get. Much of my facebook world agrees with me politically, but I still see a bit of difference here or there and I learn a lot. It has always made me happy.

Recently, like the last few months, I have noticed that about 2/3 of my facebook feed is ads or things that are suggested for me, not posts from friends. I find it annoying, but mostly I don't look at it and I just scroll past it.

But this past Monday, I was at Koby's soccer practice, and as interesting as it was, I did turn to my phone for a little facebook scrolling. In about five minutes of scrolling, I was shown all of these images below. The time stamps show more than 5 minutes - it's about 30 minutes of time total, but it was about 5 minutes on facebook (I was also talking to people in real life here and there).























I am all for helping innocent people of Palestine get out of this absolutely horrific situation, but seeing people stepping on or burning and Israeli flag, or stepping on someone's HEAD (WTF is that one?) really bothers me. I don't know why I was being shown this much and nearly everything has to do with this one issue. I clicked "I don't want to see this" and then "hide posts," and I haven't seen them since, but WTF? 

No comments: