Monday, March 6, 2023

Susie

My soul was just rejuvenated with a visit by Susie. 

Susie and I met when I became the Executive Director of the World Toilet Organization in Sept 2009, right after I finished at INSEAD. I won't go into the whole story here, but Susie had written a few grants for them, and when I came into the position, I read these grants and was like, "WTF!!! How is any of this possible??" and it all came down to, "ask Susan Margolin, but she's on mat leave right now." 

Once Susie was far enough into her mat break to meet with me, we super hit it off (and I promptly left the World Toilet Organization, which really had potential, but that's another story). We got very close quickly as we shared professional endeavors and also personal ones. I had Sam exactly two years after Teo was born. Then Susie had a super high risk pregnancy and then I did - with the same doctor. 

Susie's family was looking to move to the US, so right when we moved into our new house in Newton, but we were away for a few weeks in the summer, Susie and her family stayed there, and they loved it. So they moved to Newton too. 

I only had one friend in Boston whom I had known before we moved there (Sarah Grafman from Otzma, a super good friend), so this increased that amount by 100% - SUPER win for me!

While in Newton, Susie and I met regularly. For the last year or so we had a regular weekly am meeting at Cold Spring, where we would do at least one loop - two if we were lucky. Sometimes she did Rainey's neighborhood walk with me. We walked and talked and talked and talked. We have really shared a lot in these intense years of having kids, moving internationally and everything else that is life. Susie knows me - probably the best of any friend - and challenges me in hard ways. She helps me think deeply about everything and understand why I feel the way I do. A bit like a therapy/coach/friend, but mostly a friend.

A couple of months ago - I think in early January, I was struggling, and in a conversation with Susie, she said, "think I need to come." (Basically the same thing happened with Dena - they knew I needed them, and they somehow made it happen. I have the best friends, and I am so so grateful). She was here from Thursday morning until this morning. And holy cow did we talk. We walked, talked and ate.

England's Lane
Roni's 
Borough Market
Dishoom
Din Tai Fung

We walked 9-11 miles each day. It was so so so good for my soul (and her's and also Matt's). It was like being on vacation - I had very little kid responsibilities. Just school drop off, pick up, provide food, but no dishes, soccer, hebrew school management, missed a birthday party drop off etc. Almost no work. Loverly. So grateful.

The Columbia Rd flower market on Sunday. When we were approaching it and Susie saw what people were carrying away, she got so excited and was nearly dragging me, running. Wish we had more time

It seems like it might be spring sometime soon

England's lane breakfast/lunch

Unrelated to Susie's visit: Koby's card for his teacher who is having a baby. "Dear Ms Darcy. I hope you, Sonya and the baby have a grate life. LoveXX From Koby"

Wall in London, opposite parliament, that has a heart for everyone in the UK who has died from Covid. It seems to go on forever. People write in the hearts and dedicate them to their friend/family member. Heartbreaking.

The garden museum. Susie's mecca.

Really beautiful inside

Bourough market - I had sabikh. SOOOOO good

Hamentaschen baking

Cherry and chocolate


Din tai fung! First time since each of us left Singapore! The flavors were the same and AMAZING

Just hanging out with the kids. Susie, can I show you this? Susie, can you look at this thing I made. Susie, can you come to my soccer game? (And she did - at 8:40 in the am!)

Susie arranges flowers and bought all of this at the flower market and then arranged it - with extra mimosas (the yellow balls) in two separate vases in other parts of the house. BOY does this make me happy. In Newton, Susie always brought me her flowers, and we LOVED having them. She grew some in our garden.

The mimosas reminded me of something dr seuss. I figured it out. It's this from the sleep book


No comments: