Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rusty? Rusty!

This morning I went to yoga, and after making a fool of myself in more ways than one, a nice woman asked if I went to Michigan. I had Michigan shorts on. I said "yes." She told me that her husband is from there, and his family lives there. They live in Birmingham. "Well," I told her, "that's basically where I grew up." He went to Lahser. Really!? Me TOO!!! What's his name? RUSTY S!!! I seriously couldn't believe it. It was the best start to a great birthday!

Rusty and I have been in the same classes since elementary school...all the way through high school...including transferring to Lahser and carpooling together for at least the first two years of school. I haven't been in touch with him since high school, I believe, but now he lives in Singapore! He and his wife moved here six months ago when her job transferred her out here. I will meet her next week and learn more, and I hope to see him when he's back in a few weeks. I seriously can't believe it. It's not just someone I know of, or someone I had classes with - this is a guy that was super close to my heart for many many years! Wow.

In other happy birthday news, my friend Susie wrote on my wall that I should ask around for birthday treats in Singapore. I tried that. I went to Starbucks for a bagel, and I thought I would treat myself to a drink as well. When I was paying, I asked (with a lot of chutzpa) if they give birthday discounts. Sure! I'll give you your drink for free! Rockin! Plus, the Dead's Scarlet Begonias was playing, so that was another great start to the day. Then, my boss took my group and me out for lunch at this super fancy hotel next door - the Fullerton, and I had a great sushi lunch. I loved it. THEN, I went with a husband and six other friends to see the Singapore Slingers beat the Philippine Patriots. The game was close - Singapore was behind until the very end, but then they pulled ahead, and they won. I will post photos soon. I even got a picture with the merlion - the mascot. He covered my face in the photo, though. Boo.

Great birthday. 32. Wow - that kind of seems old. Mid 30s. I will have to let this one sit. For about a year.

1 comment:

DeDe said...

Happy Birthday Melanie

another small world story with Rusty, looking forward to more blogs about this