Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Favorite Singaporean Dish

I definitely have a favorite dish. Fishball noodles is what I like when I need quick and reliable. Chicken rice is great when you feel like eating lots of fat (and yum). Prawn mee is also quite a treat - at least the one by our house. But, I have a REAL favorite dish. The only problem is, I have no idea what it's called, and I barely know what's in it.

My friend, Rachel introduced me to it. They make it in one stall in the hawker center by our house, and the stall's name is something like Chee Mee Cooked Food. Not helpful. All the signs are only in Chinese. When I asked Rachel what it is, she only told me a whole bunch of Chinese words that I can't pronounce or remember.

It is sort of similar to rojak - in that it's a bunch of stuff with peanut and chilli sauce. The stuff, however, is not the same as rojak. One thing is the same - some sort of fried tofu. The rest, however, is totally different. There seems to sometimes be bee hoon (noodles) at the bottom. I think there is squid (raw?), some green beans, green leafed veggie, sprouts, maybe some pineapple?, and I honestly don't know what else. You sprinkle the nuts on top and then you put this spicy red chilli sauce over it. It's amazing. Too bad when we move I won't be able to get it anywhere else, because I have no idea what the hell it is, and I can't even describe it.

Speaking of moving...we found a new apartment downtown. We are moving at the end of this month, however this week has been a crazy mess. Our landlord, Mr. Tan, sold our apartment. It changes hands on the 10th. The new guy said that we can stay until the end of the month. He said that Mr. Tan's furniture (that we use) can also stay. Then Mr. Tan got very paranoid and he decided he wanted to move it all out on Saturday (the day we're leaving for a two week trip), including the bed, the refrigerator, and everything else. So, it's happening. We are staying. We are keeping our tiny guest bed, and a chair, and all the rest of it is going. I'm only sad that some of our refrigeratables might go bad - so I'm trying to find a home for them for a few weeks.

In other news, we dropped off our "guest cats" tonight. Bye Cyrus and Seiku. They are going back to the UK while we're on our trip, and no one could care for them - since they need care twice a day. I can't believe they were here for five months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It may be gado-gado, or lontong

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

I heard it also might be satay bee hoon? Who wrote this?

vantan said...

Sounds like what my family calls 'Joo Hoo Eng Chye'. It's got cuttlefish, some noodles, leafy vegetables, sauce and a sprinkling of nuts.

Did it look anything like this? http://people.timezone.com/pchong/anna/jhec.jpg