Saturday, June 13, 2009

Russian Chamber Orchestra

I went with Karthik to see the Russian Chamber Orchestra tonight. It was really really nice. Music, particularly when you can see them playing the instruments (not just sit in the cheap seats as I usually do) is good for my soul.

We sat in the second row, right next to the first cellist. He was unbelievable. I think I heard a harpsichord for the first time. Pretty instrument.

The director, Yuri Bashmet, is also a violist - maybe the best in the world? He was damn good. Turns out that his viola was made in 1758. He was able to conduct with his eyes when he played too. Pretty cool.

They played two songs that stood out. They played Kol Nidre, by some guy named Bruch. It was so weird to sit in Esplanade, in Singapore, and listen to Kol Nidre, played by a bunch of Russians. Totally random.

They also played a fun polka at the end. I really enjoyed the performance.

In other news Talia, Matt's last cousin is getting bat mitzva'ed RIGHT NOW! Mazal tov, Talia! Wish I could be there!!

No comments: