Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Women at INSEAD

Lately there have been many pictures of nearly naked women / sexual women on the big screen at INSEAD. When a group did a little power point (b school is all about power points) about Japan day, there were a lot of breasts, some ass and much of it was bare. When a group did a little power point about our section 1 vs. section 2 olympics, there was a lot of bare ass. Mostly when they showed the beach volleyball players. There were even sexual ads in marketing class.

Okay - we're in a school that is 70% male, and it usually feels like a testosterone playground - money, power, maleness. I'm used to totally PC NGOs and social work friends. I think it's just more shocking than anything else.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I do feel like it's putting women's bodies on display in a way that makes me uncomfortable, and it's all part of the mystification of the female body - the perfect female body, but for some reason it's not bothering me as much as I thought it would. Part of that is because I know the intentions are not malicious in any way...but still. I feel mixed. Oh - and also, it seems like much more is accepted in Europe than the US - there was literally a commercial that included implied falacio (sp?).

In other news, Matt and I attended the Monsoon Ball on Saturday night, which is INSEAD's big formal bash in Singapore. We got all fancy, hopped on a bus with the dean (by chance), and we mostly had a good time...again, though, I was reminded that we're not 25 anymore, as it literally took me two full days to recover.

Tonight my club also had a super presentation. I think I will save that for a separate post.

No comments: